Completing the Square
Grades: 9, 10
Learning Target: Students will learn how to solve quadratic equations by completing the square graphically and algebraically.
- Review quadratic solutions with students: y=x^2+4x-5.
- Ask, "What if you have an irrational solution and don't have a graphing calculator AND forget the quadratic formula?"
- Demonstrate how to complete the square using a graphical method.
- Have students complete the square for:
CCSS Math Practice
- I can reason abstractly and quantitatively.
NGSS Crosscutting Concepts