Inspirational Math Meme
Grades: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Learning Target: Students will learn develop a math infographic to inspire the learning of mathematics.
- Select an inspirational idea (ideas below are from Mathematical Mindsets, 2015, Jo Boaler).
EVERYONE can learn math to the highest level
MISTAKES are valuable
QUESTIONS are really important
Math is about CREATIVITY and making SENSE
Math is about CONNECTIONS and COMMUNICATION
Math class is about LEARNING not performing
DEPTH is more important than speed
[You may write your own.]
- Plan your math meme: Write the text for your concept. Sketch your graphic.
Important: If you use photographs or illustrations, you will need to create your own image or take your photo. You may download an image with a Creative Commons license.
- Develop your math meme: Use PowerPoint, Demos Calculator, Geogebra, Whiteboard or another tool to create your meme.
- Properly size your graphic: Graphics should have enough resolution for printing as a small 8 1/2 x 11 poster (2,550 px by 3,300 px).
- Animated math meme (optional): Some may want to animate your math meme.
- Peer Review: Please get feedback from two students (one positive and one constructive).
Things to think about:
- Your design should tell a story.
- Be creative.
- Be fun.
- Words should be short and to the point.
Please submit the following:
- Graphic in PDF format or a shared video (if animated)
- A text document with your peer feedback
CCSS Math Practice
- I can use appropriate tools strategically.
NGSS Crosscutting Concepts