Histogram of Recent Earthquakes
Source: Image by Tumisu from Pixabay
Grades: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Learning Target: Students will summarize and describe earthquake magnitude distributions in a histogram.
- Select current list of +2.0 earthquakes from USGS for a particular location.
- Set Output Options to CSV. Copy magnitude column of data. Paste into Desmos field with variable defined, such as t=[list of magnitudes]
- Create a histogram of the data: Histogram(t,0.1), where 0,1 equals the bin width (Desmos example).
- Have students interpret the meaning of the data. Write a one-paragraph interpretation about their data.
- Older students may fit a function to the data and predict how many earthquakes of lower magnitude may occur in the given time period.
- Students should snip graphs and enter their interpretation into a group PowerPoint presentation.
What other types of data could be visualized in a histogram?
CCSS Math Practice
NGSS Crosscutting Concepts
- Systems and System Models