Grades: 5, 6
Learning Target: Students will develop number sense while creating conversion ratios for various mystery coin currency.
- Share an online whiteboard with students.
- Drag mystery coins and sales items onto a whiteboard. Decide what each "coin" is worth. Jot down on a piece of paper what the values are. Value the coins similarly to US coin currency: 1¢, 5¢, 10¢, 25¢, 50¢, $1.
- Drag and distribute the various sales items on the whiteboard.
- Game 1. Explain to students: "You will determine the value of each coin. Set prices for the items in a way that will allow you to figure out the value of each coin." After students set prices, write under each item how many coins each item is worth, such as: 5 E, 3W, 2T. Students will work together to figure out the values of each coin.
- Game 2. This time the teacher will define the prices. Students may draw different items to sell on the whiteboard.
- Game 3. Use this Desmos graph:https://www.desmos.com/calculator/wgvpopndil Have students work in pairs. They will find out how many ways they can construct the value at the top of the page with the given number of coins. Refresh the amount using the twisted arrow icon at top-left.
Materials for Whiteboard
CCSS Math Practice
- I can reason abstractly and quantitatively.
NGSS Crosscutting Concepts