Grades: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Learning Target: Students will construct rational fractions using a visual model.
- Warm-up. Show the following graphic. Ask what fraction of the whole does the blue, red, and/or purple represent?
- Explain that parts can be divided by the whole.
- Show the following graphic, which represents infinite squares.
- Provide a PowerPoint presentation for students to construct their rational fraction. Duplicate the page, so that groups of two can work on the puzzle. Older students will attempt to produce a rational fraction using an infinite pattern.
- Demonstrate using Desmos: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/833aqfxoma
CCSS Math Practice
- I can make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- I can model with mathematics.
NGSS Crosscutting Concepts