Color Preference Analysis
Grades: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Learning Target: Students will produce color preference data and create a method to analyze multidimensional data.
- Using student-created data (use an online Form generation tool), generate a table of r, g, b data that describes student color preferences (in RGB color, 0-255) and dislikes. Use this tool to create the colors. Collect favorite and list favorite color data. Data should be formatted in the following manner:
- Copy and paste the data into these two graphs: Most Favorite, Least Favorite. You will need to delete the existing data table and rename the variables: i1,r1, g1, b1. The i variable is the ID from the data table.
- Share both the spreadsheet and the Favorite graphs to student groups. Have groups answer the following questions:
- Is there a pattern to most and least favorite colors in the class?
- How can you prove the pattern using the data?
- If there is no pattern, can you prove that using data?
- After students have developed a method for their data analysis, ask students to use histographs with R, G, and B color data and look for a pattern. Answer the following questions:
- Would using a scatterplot show a pattern?
- What is one problem with using a scatterplot?
- What other method could be used?
CCSS Math Practice
- I can look for and make use of structure.
- I can look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
NGSS Crosscutting Concepts