Christmas Lights Quadratics
Grades: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Learning Target: Students will use the vertex form of the quadratic equation to build Christmas tree lights.
- Make three sketches of you Christmas tree and light patterns.
- Obtain a Peer Review before producing final artwork.
- Significantly modify or create your own Christmas tree. (https://www.desmos.com/calculator/axddpfcx3f)
- Add quadratic functions to decorate your Christmas Tree.
- Use vertext form of the quadratic function: f(x)=a(x-h)^2+k
- Use function to create points (l,f(l)) based on sets of numbers (l).
- Color the lights of your Christmas tree. Animate the lights if desired.
- Use rgb(red,green,blue) for custom colors.
- Animate using Desmos's "Ticker" and lists of colors.
- Light point sizes can be adjusted using a variable or the random() function.
- Research: What is the difference between LED and incandescent bulbs?
- Add a star or angel to your Christmas Tree. Use interesting functions or tables.
Submit a Word Doc only.
- Three sketches
- Peer Review
- Include link to Desmos graph
- Full-size snip of graphic
- At least one paragraph response to research question (in your own words). Higher points will be awarded to responses with custom diagrams.
- Submit to Desmos's Global Art Challenge: https://help.desmos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4413417019533. If using borrowed code, be sure to modify it significantly enough to demonstrate originality.
CCSS Math Practice
NGSS Crosscutting Concepts
Christmas Tree Samples