Grades: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Learning Target: Students will develop strategies for creating products from numbers.
- Player Orange and Player Purple each select one factor, 1 – 13 at the bottom of the page and place one of the gray markers on that factor.
- Player Orange may move only one of the two markers to a new factor. Player Orange then places a marker on the grid covering the product of the two factors.
- Player Purple may move only one marker to make a new product and place their marker on the grid. The markers can both be placed on the same factor. For example 5 x 3 = 15.
- Players alternate moving one factor marker at a time and continue placing their markers on the grid until a player has marked four products in a row. After the game players should discuss their strategies.
- Discuss strategies.
- Online version: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/vcf6esfqqv
- YouCubed: https://www.youcubed.org/tasks/tic-tac-toe-products/
From Helping with Math at Home: More Ideas for Parents. 2006. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
CCSS Math Practice
NGSS Crosscutting Concepts