Grades: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Learning Target: Students will use counting patterns to create a repeating 25-second percussion rhythm.
- With a partner, sketch out on paper a mathematical rhythm for up to four percussion instruments.
- High school students will try to map out an interesting function, such as: exponential growth, sine, or logarithmic function.
- Rhythm will be in 4/4 time signature with 12 measures.
- Instruments include: tambourine, side stick, conga, various tom drums, cowbell, Chinese cymbal, snare.
- Use MuseScore to convert your mathematical patterns into a rhythm experiment.
- Sketch with any mathematical patterns (include sketch of any functions used)
- Exported music (filetype: mp3 only)
CCSS Math Practice
- I can model with mathematics.
- I can look for and make use of structure.
NGSS Crosscutting Concepts
Jungle Vibe - Rhythm