Theme: Puzzles and Games
Grades: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Learning Target: Students will recognize that games contain rules and structure, which are very much like the rules and structure found in mathematics.
For this investigation each student will:
- Play at least three chess games online or with a friend or family member. You are not required to finish slow chess games. However, at least 10 moves should be made per game (unless the game is over sooner!).
- Students will take notes on each game and answer the following questions. Notes will be submitted through the assignment. Use full sentences and correct grammar.
- What was my first move?
- What was my opponent’s first move?
- What strategies did I use?
- What mistakes did I make?
- Explanation You must also write one paragraph (at least three sentences) to the following question: How are the pieces ranked or valued and why?
- I can look for and make use of structure.
- Cause and Effect